The framers developed the U. S. Constitution more than 200 years ago with the hope that it would remain relevant and effective for future generations. One way they sought to accomplish that was through the provisions of Article V, which spell out how the Constitution can be changed. In recent years, Congress has fielded many proposals for changes to the Constitution, including the following:
• Requiring the federal government to balance the national budget
• Restricting the amount of money that can be spent during national electoral campaigns
• Abolishing the Electoral College and having the president and vice president elected by popular vote
• Lowering the age restriction for public offices such as senator and representative
• Repealing the Twenty-second Amendment, which sets presidential term limits
• Guaranteeing all citizens access to quality health care
If you had the opportunity to change the Constitution in one way in order to improve it, what would you propose? Explain your proposal and discuss why you think the Constitution will be a stronger, better document with this change.